"It's not about my politics. Something happened way to quick. A bunch of men who played it sick. They divide and conquer" -- Husker Du

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Off to Congo

Exactly twenty years ago I set foot on African soil for the first time in Kinshasa. I was 19 and the confrontation with Mobutu's Zaire broadened my horizon not only geographically but even more politically. Now I'm preparing to go back to Kinshasa for M3M/intal, our NGO, memories from the first trip come back to my mind. The smell, the sound, the taste,... the Congo is really unique. I still remember how determined I was to go back to that wonderful country. Eventually it would take 20 years to bring me back. I'm sure much has changed and much has remained the same. Maybe I have changed the most. In any case, I'm looking forward to another confrontation with the heart of Africa.

No comments: